TUMERIC BENEFITS AND USES
Other names: Turmeric, Indian Saffron, Curcuma or Yellow Ginger
Did you know that tumeric benefits have held a place of honor in India for thousands of years? It is a mainstay in traditional Ayurvedic medicine yet western medicine it just now discovering health benefits of tumeric!
This member of the ginger family has a bright orange root that contains the yellow pigment curcumin. Curcumin is considered anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial. Not only that but is also an extremely powerful antioxidant and has shown some anti-cancer properties!
In India it has been considered a whole body cleanser but is also used to treat fever, infections, arthritis, dysentery, jaundice and other liver problems. It is also used to treat fungal infections and as a digestive aid. That's a lot of medicine in one little spice jar!
Here's some ways you can make use of these tumeric benefits:
- CUTS AND SCRAPES - Tumeric's antibacterial properties make it useful for minor cuts and scrapes. After washing out the wound just sprinkle on some of the powdered herb then cover with a bandage.
- TUMERIC AND ARTHRITIS - Because it is anti-inflammatory, tumeric has been used successfully for pain including rheumatoid arthritis. Naturopathic doctors usually recommend 400 milligrams of tumeric three times a day. To get that much it's best to take capsules. It's always best to make your own if possible by buying bulk, organic tumeric and empty gelatin capsules. This way you can be sure your getting only tumeric in your capsules.
***Tumeric does have an anticlotting effect so if you have a blood clotting disorder check with your doctor before taking high doses!
- DIABETES - Tumeric is said to help the body make more effective use of insulin.
- HEART HEALTH - Tumeric may help lower cholesterol and help prevent internal blood clots.
- LIVER PROTECTION - Our livers are bombarded by toxins everyday and this wonderful spice is said to contain several compounds that help protect this important organ. We need all the protection we can get!
- PARASITES - Tumeric benefits includes fighting protozoans. It has a traditional use in treating dysentery.
- BOILS AND MRSA - I've read that taking tumeric internally at the first sign of a boil or staph infection can make them go away quickly! Take internally, 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in half a glass of warm water or milk 3x a day. Continue for several days or more if you have recurring MRSA boils. Make a doctor's appointment too! Staph infections can be dangerous! (FYI: Acidophilus is also said to be of great benefit to treating boils. Can't hurt to take both!) You can also make a turmeric poultice to treat the problem externally.
- WHOLE BODY CLEANSER - The health benefits of tumeric are many! Tumeric is said to help:
- Allergies and Hayfever
- Menstrual Problems and Menopausal Symptoms
- Diarrhea and IBS
- Inflammation and Pain
- Goiters and more
Tumeric Benefits for Dogs and Cats
Tumeric can also be beneficial to treating cysts, boils and growths on dogs and cats too! For cats try 1/4 teaspoon a day and large dogs could take 1 teaspoon a day. Many people have had good luck with this when nothing else has worked. If you're giving too much your pet may get constipated so if this happens simply cut back on the dose.
Tumeric Tea Recipe
As mentioned above, you can mix 1 teaspoon of organic tumeric in a cup of hot water or warm milk. Drink to your health! I actually prefer mine in cold milk. It doesn't mix very well but I kind of like the taste anyway. If you use water you can add a little coconut oil if you like. They say taking tumeric with a little fat (like oil or milk) or black pepper will help your body absorb the spice better.
Golden Milk Recipe
Golden Milk an alternative to the plain tumeric tea. It was created by Yogi Bhajan, founder of the Yogi Tea brand and is an Auryvedic healing tradition. He recommends it for bone and joint health and to treat inflammation such as arthritis. It also helps to support the immune system. Add some cinnamon or ginger if you like!
- 2 tablespoons tumeric
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup milk (sub rice or almond milk if you like)
- 1 teaspoon almond oil
- honey to taste
Stir together the turmeric and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook, stirring, until a thick paste is formed.
Use 1/2 to 1 tsp of this turmeric paste for each cup of Golden Milk tea. Add turmeric paste, milk, almond oil and honey to saucepan and reduce heat to low. Bring milk just to a boil then remove from heat. Cheers! May all the tumeric benefits be yours!
Tumeric Benefits was found under HOME HERBALPlease post your Tumeric Testimonials below!
Click here to return
Your comments are greatly appreciated!
Do you have any Tumeric stories?
Share what you know here!
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Acid reflux reduced with yellow ginger
I sliced the raw yellow ginger root (tumeric), boiled it and added the yellowish liquid to plain tea, it reduced my acid reflux where usually around 5 …
Just a thought! If you are going to make your own Tumeric capsules as mentioned above. (what a great idea) please consider adding black pepper to the …
Tumeric Shaving Cream...
Here in the Middle East, an emerging product is a shaving cream is sold here with Tumeric. I tried it for a month, and it provided a super nice shave, …
This tea is simple to make and produces an alkaline reaction in the body, and helps reduce inflammation. It's a perfect drink to add to your detox routine, …
the miracle of turmeric
I had an ovarian cancer in the year 2008 and chemoed on the year 2009. After my chemotherapy i was asked to have and MRI every year for monitoring any …
Tumeric Golden Milk Recipe
Turmeric is a golden-yellow spice originally from India. It is one of my favorite all-time, multi-talented remedies for many different ailments. It can …
Health Benefits of Tumeric
Here are many reasons to add Tumeric to your diet :
1. It's a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, helpful in disinfecting cuts and burns. …
Click here to write your own.