OREGANO OIL HEALTH BENEFITS
There is a plethora of oregano oil health benefits claimed but there is also some confusion so let's straighten that out first.
I should mention in 2005, the US Federal Trade Commission brought legal action against a firm that had claimed oregano oil health benefits included treating colds and flus, and that oil of oregano taken orally treated and relieved bacterial and viral infections and their symptoms. That being said, let me remind you that this website is for information purposes only and the information, products and the claims made about specific products and/or remedies on or through this site have not been evaluated by the United States Food and Drug Administration and are not approved to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease.
Sorry, had to get that out of the way.
If you're confused by the different oregano products out there hopefully I can clarify some of it.
- Oregano - When you think of oregano you probably think of the herb in your kitchen cabinet. Yes, this herb does have medicinal qualities also and you can make a strong tea from it if nothing else is available to you but the oregano with the highest amount of antioxidants is called Origanum vulgare. More on that later.
- Oregano Essential Oil - Here's where the confusion can come in because it's sometimes refered to simply "oregano oil". Oregano essential oil is super powerful stuff and should NEVER be used without being diluted.
- Oil of Oregano - You'll find many products out there called Oil of Oregano but this is typically oregano essential oil that has been greatly diluted. This is the stuff you can use internally and externally straight from the bottle as directed and possibly reap oregano oil health benefits!
OREGANO FACTS - Do you know there are about 40 different types of oregano? It's true but the medicinal oregano we are interested in is Origanum vulgare. This wild oregano is from the Mediterranean and contains the highest amount of antioxidants. Look for Origanum vulgare on labels because this makes the best oil of oregano.
The healing powers of oregano are nothing new. In fact, the ancient Egyptians used it as a preservative and antidote to poison. The Greeks used it as an antidote to narcotic poisoning, convulsions and used an oregano poultice for painful swellings. Culpeper wrote about it and Hippocrates used oregano as an antiseptic, as well as a cure for stomach and respiratory ailments. Oregano is definitly not the new kid on the block!
Oregano Oil Health Benefits
Applied topically or ingested orally oil of oregano helps inhibit (and sometimes kill) ninety different types of detrimental bacteria, fungi, parasites, protozoa, yeasts, and molds. It is said to even treat Candida and Staph infections!
Wild oregano is recognized as having one of the broadest ranges of antimicrobial effectiveness known among plants. It has been regarded for the following properties:
- Antibacterial: For mild food poisoning, stomach flu, diarrhea, colitis, gastritis, infected hangnails and splinters, cuts and scrapes, non-specific dermatitis, acne, and seborrhea.
- Antifungal: For fungal infections, Athlete's foot, dandruff, psoriasis, rosacea, and Candida (due to presence of two phenolic fungitoxic compounds: thymol and carvacrol - the most active constituents).
- Anti-inflammatory: For toothache and gum disease, dental absceses, mouth ulcers, insect & spider bites or stings , skin disorders - bruising, eczema, seasonal allergies, poison ivy and muscle pain.
- Anti-parasitic: For ringworm and intestinal parasites.
- Antiviral: For sore throat/pharyngitis, cold and flu-like symptoms, sinusitis, respiratory disorders - asthma, bronchitis, insect bites/stings, cold sores, and warts; herpes simplex virus type 1.
Oil of Oregano and Candida
Candidiasis (the fungal infection from Candida albicans) is common and greatly overlooked by todays doctors. Because it can affect virtually any part of the body it's symptoms are wide and varied. Candida can take hold both externally (nails, skin, feet, etc.) and internally (mouth aka. Thrush, intestines, vaginal tract, urethra, sinuses, ear canal - just about anywhere). Dr. Cass Ingram's book, The Cure in the Cupboard, suggests taking Oil of Oregano for several weeks to fight off this difficult infection.
Because oregano oil is so good at killing off bacteria it's suggested that a good probiotic be taken also if you plan on using this treatment for any period of time! Take the probiotic a couple hours after the oregano oil though.
Oil of Oregano Contraindications and Cautions
- Wait 2 hours after taking oregano oil before taking any pharmaceuticals
- Do not use during pregnancy or lactation.
- It may irritate sensitive skin (if irritation occurs, discontinue use).
- Avoid in case of allergy to the Lamiaceae family of plants, also known as the mint family that includes many widely used culinary herbs, such as basil, mint, rosemary, sage, savory, marjoram, thyme, lavender, and perilla.
- Avoid in cases of liver or kidney disease.
- Do not use in high doses.
- Keep out of the eyes.
- A potential interaction may exist with blood thinners; therefore, do not use oregano oil if you are taking them.
As you can see the oregano oil health benefits and uses are so many that it could almost be considered a panacea! Don't forget the best oil of oregano goes by the botanical name Origanum vulgare so make sure that is on the label!
Please share your own oregano oil health benefits below...
Do you have any Oil of Oregano stories?
Share what you know here!
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
How to Make Oregano Oil
Herbalist shows you how to make oregano oil from an oil of oregano and olive oil mix.
Steven Foster, expert on medicinal plants and herbs, and author …
Oregano Oil for Bladder infection
I had a bladder infection one morning and took oil of oregano, that day, it was gone.
Usually bladder infections last for at least 2 days for me but it …
Toe Nail Fungus Cure
I had toe nail fungus for years and tried all kinds of medications to get rid of it to no avail.
I put concentrated oregano oil in a bandage pad and wrapped …
Wild Oregano for Allergies & Sinusitis
Watch Dr. Cass Ingram speak about the fungus among us on the afternoon news in Los Angeles, CA. Natural cures for allergies was the topic of discussion. …
Click here to write your own.
Oregano Oil Health Benefits was found under HOME HERBAL
Click here to see more useful herbs!
Organic Oregano Oil Blend
[ learn more ]
Most people are familiar with oregano containing only small amounts of the supplemental compound Carvacrol. Our Organic Oregano Oil Blend contains a minimum of 80% of this beneficial ingredient!