LAVENDER USES FOR
HOME, BODY AND MIND
The lavender uses for beauty, home and health are many!
Who uses lavender? Everyone should because it is so versatile. Lavenders properties include being antibacterial, anticonvulsive, antidepressant, antiinflammatory, analgesic, antirheumatic, antispasmodic, antitoxic, antiviral, anticoagulant, carminative, cholagogue, cordial, deodorant, decongestant, diuretic, hypotensive, insecticidal, nervine, parasiticidal, rubefacient, restorative, sedative, sudorfic, tonic, vermifugal, and vulnerary. Wow! What more could you ask of one species of plant? Did I mention that to smell lavender is like a little piece of heaven?
So let's look at some ways to use lavender...
FRESH AND DRIED LAVENDER USES FOR TEA
The herb lavender is a very stong and a little goes a long way. One full tablespoon of dried lavender can make a full pot of tea depending on your taste. You'll just have to play with it until you figure out how strong you like it. Steep lavender tea only around 5-10 minutes. Your using organic lavender, right?
Here's the best way to make lavender tea to treat ailments:
- Pour boiling water in a cup
- Let cool for 30 seconds
- Add 1 teaspoon fresh or dried lavender
- Cover and steep 10 minutes
- Strain and drink lukewarm
LAVENDER USES FOR MEDICINE
- Headaches - Drink tea and/or use as a compress on forehead
- Upset stomach, nausea and gas
- Emotional support to ease depression
- Calm and lift spirits
- Insomnia - promotes natural sleep
- Heal acne
- Soothe insect bites & stings
- Fungal infections
- Tonic for general health
- Help wounds heal faster
- Eases aches from rheumatism
- Minor burns and sunburns
HOW TO USE LAVENDER EXTERNALLY
HOW TO USE LAVENDER OIL
- LAVENDER COMPRESS - To use lavender in a compress, make a strong tea and soak a cotton towel in it. While still warm (not hot) apply to the part of the body needed. Leave in place until completely cooled.
A lavender compress to the forehead can provide relief for:
Use a lavender compress on other body parts to treat minor burns, aches & pains, minor wounds or even acne.
- LAVENDER USES FOR BATHING
There's a couple different ways to use lavender in the tub:
- Fill a muslin bag with dried or fresh lavender and let the water run over it as your tub fills.
- Make a strong infusion by steeping a large handful of lavender in a quart or more of hot water and let it steep for a couple hours. Strain and pour in your tub water!
- Add 5 to 10 drops of pure lavender essential oil to your full tub or better yet, add the essential oil to your dead sea salts or epsom salts. See below for more information on lavender essential oil.
Lavender is my favorite essential oil because it is so veratile and because it's one of two essential oils that can be applied neat. Neat means that it can be applied directly to the skin with diluting.
When using pure, organic lavender essential oil here's a couple points to keep in mind:
- Keep away from your eyes - Even though lavender is one of the safer EO's it is still very potent.
- Never ingest or use any essential oil for cooking.
- Keep out of reach from children
Here's a few of the many uses for lavender aromatherapy:
- LAVENDER MASSAGE - Mix 2-3 drops per tablespoon of any natural
plant oil such as olive oil, jojoba oil, etc. For larger amounts mix 20-40 drops per 7 tablespoons oil. A lavender massage can be very relaxing and sensual!
- LAVENDER FACIAL STEAM - A lavender facial steam can help treat acne and relieve a stuffy nose.
- Bring a pan of water to a boil
- Remove from heat
- Add 5-7 drops lavender EO
- With a towel over your head to trap steam, lean over the bowl and let the lavender steam work its magic.
- MINOR BURNS - Lavender EO is the best home burn remedy! Apply directly to the burn as soon as possible. It will ease the pain and you'll be surprised how quickly it heals! When applied directly lavender essential oil will also help
- Acne or other skin blemishes
- scrapes and minor cuts
- Dermatitis and eczema
- Mosquito bites and other insect stings
- LAVENDER BATHS - Whether you use the herb lavender or lavender essential oil bathing in it is detoxing and relaxing. It's a great home remedy for colds, sunburn or stress. Add 5-7 drops to a full tub or to your favorite, unscented bath salts.
LAVENDER USES FOR A
NON-TOXIC AIR FRESHENER
- SIMMER LAVENDER - Throw a handful of dried or fresh lavender in a pot and simmer on the stove. The beautiful scents lavender disperses will fill your home.
- LAVENDER POTPOURRI - A bowl filled with dried lavender or mixed with other herbs will give a subtle pleasant scent to a room.
- LAVENDER OIL DIFFUSER - Burn a few drop lavender essential oil in a diffuser. Wonderful!
Dried organic lavender and pure lavender essential oil is usually available at your local farmers market or Co-op if you don't wish to purchase at an online herb store.
Lavender uses for home & health was found under HOME HERBAL
Click here to return
Share a cure, thought or experience about LAVENDER!
Do you have a question, remedy or information about lavender?
Share your knowledge or experience!
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors of this page...
Lavender Lemonade Recipe
You can prepare plain lemonade and then add a lavender syrup or make it from scratch as this Lavender Lemonade recipe specifies. Either way, get ready …
Uses For Lavender Oil
If you want to learn start with the best! dōTERRA®’S CPTG CERTIFIED PURE THERAPEUTIC GRADE ESSENTIAL OILS are 100% pure, natural, aromatic compounds …
I use lavender for...
I use lavender to cleanse the air in my linen drawers, safe kept in a satchet, it not only produces a sweet smell but also keeps the moths and bacteria …
Lavender Essential Oil Uses
If you've never explored essential oils Lavender is the best choice to try. It is one of the safest essential oils and can be used directly on the skin. …
How to make lavender lemonade with dried lavender, fresh lemon juice and honey.
3/4 cup lavender
9 juiced lemons (or) 1 1/2 cups lemon …
How to Grow Lavender
To grow lavender, provide full sun, plenty of water and lots of room to grow. Start growing lavender with tips from lavender farmer, Sarah Bader.
How to use lavender oil
Learn how to use lavender essential oil for headaches, for a soothing bath, to scent your home and even make a lavender spray for you and your pets! This …
Here's my simple recipe for a lavender air freshener
This is so simple and it works great! All you need for this natural air freshener is a small spray bottle and some lavender essential oil. Fill the bottle …
Click here to write your own.
CHAMOMILE is another herb that has many healthy uses
Find out more!