INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT ZINC
Of all the interesting facts about zinc the most fascinating is that this mineral is crucial for hundreds of body processes!
Zinc is so essential that it's required by every cell in our bodies for everything from cell growth to immunity and even for our sense of taste and smell. Zinc is concentrated in the muscles, bones, kidneys, eyes, liver and also the prostate. Our bodies don't produce zinc so we must get it from our foods or a supplement.
Make sure your multi-vitamin and/or mineral supplement contains zinc!
Zinc in Foods
The main zinc food sources include:
- Meat such as beef, pork, liver, the dark meat of poultry, eggs and seafood.
- Nuts - Almonds are a great source of zinc!
- Cheese - meaning REAL cheese not processed cheese food products.
Just think protein! Foods high in protein usually contain zinc.
Signs of Zinc Deficiency
- White spots on finger nails - (because alcoholic beverages reduce the amount of zinc in the body many alcoholics will have white spots on their nails) Zinc is also a hangover remedy!
- Poor senses including eyesight, taste and smell
- Chronic acne, psoriasis, eczema or other skin ailment
- Sores or wounds that heal slowly
- Chronic canker sores
- Frequent colds
- Tininitis (ringing in the ears)
- Unhealthy hair / Dandruff
- Dysfunctional thinking including mental fog and even mental illness!
- Enlarged prostate
Benefits of Zinc
In addition to possibly helping the above complaints it's said that a zinc supplement can help with:
- Fighting colds, flu and infections
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Boosting fertility
- Improving insulin levels
- and even ulcers
Be sure to dicuss any supplements with your doctor if you have a serious condition and/or are taking prescription medications!
Always take your supplements two hours before or after medications.
Zinc Side Effects
Taking more than 100 mg's of zinc each day over time can impair immunity and interfere with copper absorption. Signs can include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Share a cure, thought or experience about Zinc!
Share what you know about Zinc here!
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Interesting Facts about Zinc was found under Nutrients
Click here to return!