Gout control can be done at home with a whole array of home remedies that many people have had great success with! But let's first take a look at gout in general.
Gout - What is it?
Gout (sometimes called metabolic arthritis) is a very painful conditon caused by the build-up of uric acid in the joints and tendons. For most people it starts in the big toe but can spread throughout the body. Imagine having bits of ground glass laced in your joints! Ouch! Severe inflammation and tissue damage can result as well as damage to the kidneys, including kidney stones.
When looking at the symptoms and treatment of gout it's easy to see the main goal is to break down those uric acid crystals and avoid getting them in the first place.
What Foods Cause Gout?
It's said that gout is a hereditary condition and people predisposed should avoid the following foods:
- The #1 foods to avoid are any high protein foods such as red meat, organ meat and seafood including all shellfish.
- Refined Carbohydrates - These include flour and baked goods.
- All beans (except black beans)
- Fried foods
- Alcohol - Especially beer!
All these foods promote the growth of uric crystals so avoid them like the plague!
Gout Control with Home Remedies
Add these foods to your gout menu!
- CHERRIES for gout! - Many people have used this natural food remedy for symptoms of gout with great success! Simply eat 15 - 25 cherries a day. If cherries aren't in season you can find cherry juice or capsules in your health food store. Don't like cherries? Try strawberries, blueberries or pomegranates!
- RAW APPLE JUICE will reduce uric acid but don't buy the presweetened kind. Make sure it's raw.
- CELERY AND CELERY SEED EXTRACT are also great foods for gout. You can also make celery seed tea!
- BLACK BEANS AND BLACK BEAN BROTH - Black beans are the only beans you should eat if you suffer from gout. They are said to relieve symptoms for many.
- NETTLE TEA OR INFUSION -
Stinging nettle is full of vitamins and minerals. It's also a diuretic and will help flush uric acid.
- WATER - Don't forget to drink plenty of clean water to flush those crystals out!
Supplements for Gout:
- FISH OIL OR FLAX SEED OIL - Take about 700 mg of fish oil twice a day or 1 tablespoon of flax seed oil twice a day. Omega 3 fatty acids are great for most inflammatory conditions.
- HIGH QUALITY VITAMIN/MINERAL SUPPLEMENT - Make sure it has minerals and is mostly plant based.
- BROMELAIN is found in pineapple and is great for inflammation. Take a 500 mg supplement 3 times a day.
- ORGANIC APPLE CIDER VINEGAR - Many people swear that taking a tablespoon of
apple cider vinegar in some water twice a day relieves controls their gout. Make sure it's organic!
- FOLIC ACID - Take this according to instructions on the bottle.
- ACTIVATED CHARCOAL - Activated charcoal can also absorb uric acid and relieve gout symptoms. Don't take within 2 hours of any other medication or supplement though as it will absorb those also.
External Treatments For Gout Control:
Try a CABBAGE POULTICE for gout! Take enough fresh cabbage leaves to cover the painful joints and bruise them with a rolling pin. Apply and cover with an ace bandage or plastic wrap. Leave on at least 30 minutes.
LINAMENT FOR GOUT - To a quart of rubbing alcohol add 1/2 ounce of Eucalyptus oil and 1/2 ounce of Wintergreen oil. Mix thoroughly and apply to those painful joints.
I hope one or more of these gout control tips will give you some relief! Please, please share your own gout remedies below!
Share a cure, thought or experience about Gout!
Share what you know about Gout here!
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Cherries for Gout
My father had sporadic gout in his toe for years. My mom had read an article about eating cherries to help gout symptoms. Dad tried the cherry remedy …
Goutweed for Gout Control?
Your probably familiar with this common, landscaping plant. It loves shady, damp areas and can become extremely invasive. You may know it by one of its …
Gout Diet Recipe
One of the natural ways to relieve gout pain is with a gout diet. This avoids foods high in purines (which …
Click here to write your own.
Gout Control was found under AILMENTS
Click here to return!
[ learn more ]
This potassium orotate supplement was developed and used by Dr. Hans Nieper for a variety of health conditions.
100 Veggie Capsules (175mg)